The Church and Society of Gravel Hill was organized at some time prior to June 1832. At the annual meeting of that date, the members subscribed to the building of a house of worship. The organization took place in a log building used for both church and school purposes.
The Church was a branch or chapel of ease of the Midway Congregational Church and was served by ministers of that church. A frame structure was erected in 1836, four acres of land having been donated by Simon Fraser. The name of the church and community was changed from Gravel Hill to Flemington in 1850 in honor of William Fleming, one of the first settlers in this area.
The present structure was erected in 1852. The gallery was originally intended primarily for the slaves of the members. The bell in the steeple was made in 1799 and originally hung in the Midway Church. The communion silver was donated by the will of John Lambert to the Midway Church in 1786. The silver and the bell were given to Flemington Church in 1866 when services were no longer held at Midway.
In 1865, when from force of circumstances the members were no longer able to attend services at Midway, they formed a separate organization and adopted the Presbyterian form of government. The church was admitted to the Presbytery of Georgia on April 6, 1866. It is now a member of the Presbytery of Savannah, the Synod of the South Atlantic and the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). On May 31, 1887, the church was incorporated and granted a charter by the State of Georgia.
A Sunday School was organized in 1836 and has functioned continuously since that time. The work of the women dates back to the Liberty County Female Cent Society of 1817. The Women’s Home and Foreign Missionary and Aid Society was organized in 1889; their work has since conformed to the plans set up by the General Assembly for Presbyterian Women. The same is true of the youth organizations, which began with the Christian Endeavor Society for Juniors in 1906. The present youth groups are the Junior and Senior High Fellowships.
The Men’s Service Club, begun in 1926, has been active in mission work. The Allenhurst Presbyterian Church is one outcome of the missions organized by Flemington Church. The Men’s Club also sponsored the first Boy Scout Troop in the county.